Saturday, June 7, 2008

Cheesecake Orbit

Though it seems like a good idea to take a short break after running a half marathon, I really cannot afford to go any weeks between now and my attempt to complete a full without at least one run of such or even greater length. So, this morning, I have resumed my training with another 13+ mile run.

I try something different today...running most of the distance from the start of RAT Beach to the Redondo Beach Pier on the sand. I am no stranger to running on the beach, so I stick to close to the water where the Terra is firmer.

When I reach the pier, I decide to stop and take photos of the pier and the soon-to-close Tony's Fish Market. I forget to pause my watch many of the times that I stop to take pictures...so my pace average is no longer meaningful and there are now gaps in my GPS data. Since I am not targeting any particular pace with today's workout, I do not worry too much about it.

Cheesecake Factory is today's halfway point simply because it stands roughly 7 miles from where I started...and I am hoping that this run will total 14 miles. Of course, I will probably fall a bit short of that distance since I do not plan to retrace my steps on the beach.

I turn uphill and run back by the pier on Catalina Ave. Though the hill is not all that steep, I am having surprising difficulty regaining my stride here. The bike path and sidewalk is a little harsh on the feet, but I cannot really run on the street due to all of the parked cars.

I turn on to the Esplanade so I can overlook the beach below. Parked cars continue to keep me off the street (I hate running on sidewalks). Palos Verdes still seems far away. I think the heat is starting to get to me because it is flat, but I cannot seem to maintain a pace below ten minute miles.

No comments: