Saturday, August 23, 2008

Asics Kayano 14 vs 13

Last week, my crazy ultra trail-running coworker was forced to buy Kayano 14s because the Disneyland Half Marathon is fast approaching and his 13s have completely lost their spring. Like me, he loves the 13s, so I was curious to hear his review.

He says the new generation fits differently...takes some getting used to...and has hot spots.

Today, my wife and I drop by Sports Authority. I try on a pair. Just like my coworker, I immediately notice a tightness in the toe-box. One of the things I love about my 13s is how free my toes are to wiggle and flex, but the 14s definitely pinch and a half-size up would be too big and sloppy. This new shoe would definitely take some getting used to.

Why, why, WHY does Asics have to change a good thing?

I am glad I have still have an unused pair of Kayano 13s that I will be rotating into my routine starting tomorrow morning. I will be using this fresh pair on both the Disneyland Half Marathon and the Maui Marathon...one less variable to worry about.

No comments: