Monday, September 24, 2007

Sweating in South Beach

Running once in this climate seems ridiculous. Twice is just stupid. And why I try for more miles is beyond me...but that is exactly what I decide to do before during my stay at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach.

Having already done a beach run, I decide to stick to the boardwalk today. Though initially on bricks, the bulk of my run is on wooden planks...a bit easier on the legs for sure. I am not sure how far the boardwalk extends, but decide I will let some landmark or 2.5 miles define my northern limit (whichever comes first).

I thankfully reach the end of the boardwalk at around 2.2 miles. Any further and I am not sure if I would have been able to make it back to the hotel. The sun has started to peek through the thunderheads and the temperature has been increasing. My legs feel weak, my breathing labored, my side hurts. I must walk. A jogger passes by inspiring me to pick up the pace, but I give up as soon as they disappear into the distance.

Of my 4.4 mile excursion, I have run about 3 of them. Walking has screwed up my average pace to the point where it is not even worth mentioning. I really do not feel good. How could anyone run races here?

No comments: